Show Date: Tuesday, 11 September 2012
- Mitchell Hashimoto github, twitter
- Patrick Debois github, twitter, blog
- Bryan Berry github, twitter, irc: bryanwb, blog: devopsanywhere
- Nathen Harvey github, twitter, irc: nathenharvey, blog
- Chef 10.14 has been released! Since we recorded the last podcast there have actually been a number of Chef releases in the 10.14 series
- And if Chef 10.14 isn’t enough to get you really excited, you can now Test Drive the Chef 11 Server Preview. This preview is the erchef powered Chef Server using omnibus installer on Ubuntu 10.04.
- Dan Ryan released Mastermind, an infrastructure orchestration engine. It provides the ability to compose and automate complex tasks with predefined and reproducible outcomes.
- Dan has also released woodchuck a lightweight log shipper for logstash written in Ruby.
- Mathias Lafeldt wrote up a post on his experiences with Learning Chef. Where should you start? with Ruby! Mathias recommends that you start by learning some Ruby before you get too far into Chef.
- Jon Cowie recently announced that knife-spork made it to 1.0. With a lot of help from Seth Vargo, knife-spork was completely refactored and now has a plugin framework.
- Pete Cheslock recently presented at the Chef Boston Meetup on Team Development Workflows with Chef. The slides from his presentation are available on slideshare.
- The team over at Green and Secure IT Limited recently released knife-block to enable the use of multiple knife.rb files against multiple chef servers. This is a great way to help keep your knife configuration files organized. Simply type
knife block use footo switch to the ‘foo’ chef server.
knife block use barwill change your config to connect to the ‘bar’ chef server.
- Gareth Llewellyn recently released Cyllel Beta 0.4 An andriod app that lets you interact with your Chef managed infrastructure. Check-out the code on github.
- In the blog post What Powers Etsy Etsy detailed the hardware configurations they use to power their site.
- The team over at Etsy also recently wrote a post about the Engineer Exchange Program project . It’s pretty simple: An Etsy engineer headed over to San Francisco to spend a week working with a Twitter Platform Engineer. The two engineers spent the next week in Brooklyn working at Etsy. I’m really interested to hear how this exchange went.
- We can’t record this show as often as we would like but there are so many great topics to cover. That’s why we are excited about the ShipShow Podcast, they are putting out great content including their most recent episode that asks “Is there such a thing as too much automation?” tl;dr the resounding answer is no!
Upcoming Meetup Groups and Events
The following night you can head to the San Francisco DevOps meetup to talk about Monitoring and Metrics with Sensu.
After that meeting, catch the red eye to SurgeConf 2012 which is the 27th and 28th in Baltimore. I’ll be there and recording some interviews with presenters and participants. Hope to see you there!
devopsdays Rome are coming up on October 5 and 6th. If you are in Europe or otherwise interested to meet with some really intelligent people, you should come out.
The next Infrastructure Coders meeting will be held on October 10th in Melbourne.
- rayo v1.0.12 - krumpt Rayo is a message-oriented XML protocol for controlling phone calls, audio mixers and a variety of advanced media resources. This cookbook is to install a Rayo Node or Gateway
- spiceweasel v0.1.0 - mray This simple cookbook installs the latest version of Spiceweasel from Rubygems.
- debian v0.0.1 - guilhemfr Sets up apt sources for Debian.
- rvm_deploy v0.0.1 - fxposter This cookbook provides an rvm_deploy resource, which can be used just like deploy or deploy_revision resources, but it provides rvm integration.
- graphene v0.0.6 - zo Installs and configures the Graphene graphing toolkit.
- bind-chroot v0.0.12 - jackl0phty This cookbook will install bind9, a DNS server, in a CHROOT jail environment.
- nexus v0.11.2 - reset Installs/Configures nexus, a repository manager
- unattended_upgrades v0.0.2 - marcelcary Installs/Configures APT unattended_upgrade
There are a couple of new cookbooks for Splunk:
- splunk_handler v1.1.0 - Greg Albrecht ampledata Cookbook version of the Chef Exception & Reporting Handler for Splunk.
- splunkstorm v0.0.1 - Aaron Wallis d2kagw Installs/Configures Splunk Storm forwarders and includes resources to easily add/remove monitored files and directories.
We’ve got three new cookbooks form Geoffrey Tran:
- mysql_charset v0.0.1 - geoffreytran Installs a charset.cnf file with the default character sets for mysql
- symfony2 v0.0.1 - geoffreytran This cookbook runs the Symfony2 console command
- composer v0.0.2 - geoffreytran This cookbook installs PHP Composer, a tool for dependency management in PHP.
Chris Roberts is back with a bunch of cookbooks
- dnsmasq v0.0.1 - chrisroberts Installs and configures dnsmasq
- hosts_file v0.0.1 - chrisroberts Manage your hosts file with chef.
- lxc v0.0.1 - chrisroberts Manage linux containers with Chef.
- kernel_vm v0.0.1 - chrisroberts Chef driven Kernel VMs
- gozer v0.0.1 - chrisroberts This is a cookbook that Chris uses to build his workstation.
- i3 v0.0.1 - chrisroberts Install and configure i3, a dynamic tiling window manager.
John Dewey’s been really busy releasing cookbooks for many common utilities. This is the third episode in a row where we’ve got multiple new cookbooks from John:
- sysstat v1.2.0 - John Dewey retr0h Installs/Configures sysstat
- tree v1.1.0 - retr0h Installs/Configures tree
- socat v1.1.0 - retr0h Installs/Configures socat
- smem v1.0.0 - retr0h Installs/Configures smem
- netcat v1.1.0 - retr0h Installs/Configures netcat
- mtr v1.1.0 - retr0h Installs/Configures mtr
- ltrace v1.1.0 - retr0h Installs/Configures ltrace
- iperf v1.1.0 - retr0h Installs/Configures iperf
- minitest-handler v0.1.2 - btm
- glassfish v0.5.5 - peter_donald
- sensu v0.1.6 - portertech
- virtualbox v0.7.1 - peplin
- discovery v0.1.7 - fujin
- netatalk v1.0.0 - jtimberman
- hostsfile v0.1.2 - sethvargo
- hostname v0.0.3 - mpasternacki
- rbenv v1.4.0 - reset
- artifact v0.10.7 - reset
- sptoolkit v0.0.14 - jackl0phty
- openvas v0.0.52 - jackl0phty
- cpan v0.0.19 - melezhik
- gitlab v0.3.0 - atomic-penguin
- iotop v1.1.0 - retr0h
- ethtool v1.1.0 - retr0h
- dstat v1.1.0 - retr0h
- lldpd v1.0.0 - retr0h
- ipmitool v1.0.0 - retr0h
- curl v1.1.0 - retr0h
- newrelic v0.3.6 - devesc
- atg v1.0.1 - jpipe
- ldapknife v0.0.10 - jackl0phty
- rackspaceknife v0.0.4 - jackl0phty
- Working at CustomInk
- Tito’s Vodka
Vagrant with Mitchell Hashimoto & Patrick Debois: Download here
Do you have cookbook news that you’d like to share or feedback on the show? Please drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to follow @foodfightshow on twitter and to rate us on itunes!