- Steven Murawski - github, twitter, blog
- Matt Stratton - github, twitter
- Stephen Nelson-Smith - twitter, irc: cope, blog
- Nathen Harvey - github, twitter, irc: nathenharvey, blog
- Bryan Berry - github, twitter, irc: bryanwb, blog: devopsanywhere
- Chef Users London Meetup - October 9
- Chef Community Summit London - October 15 & 16 - FOODFIGHT saves 10%, CHEFWEEK saves more ;)
- Erlang Camp - October 10 & 11 in Austin, Texas
- Silicon Valley Code Camp - October 11 in Los Altos Hills, California
- Houston Texas DevOps – October 14 - JJ Asghar will be presenting “Infrastructure as Code”
- Docker Santa Clara Meetup - October 15 - Tom Duffield will be presenting “Managing Docker Containers”
- CloudDevelop - October 17 in Columbus, Ohio - Julian Dunn will be presenting “Automating That Other OS: Cooking With Chef on Windows”
- London Hack Day - October 17
- All Things Open - October 22-23 in Raleigh, North Carolina - Nathen Harvey will present “Introduction to Infrastructure as Code & Automation / Introduction to Chef”
- Rakuten Technology Conference - October 25 in Japan - Michael Ducy will be talking about Changing the Behavior of IT.
- T-DOSE - October 25 & 26 in The Netherlands
- IC3 - October 27-28 in San Francisco - George Miranda and a few other Chefs will be around. George will be presenting “Successful Patterns of DevOps – Your To-Do List”
- QCon San Francisco - November 3-7 in San Francisco - Franklin Webber will be leading an Intro to Chef tutorial on the 7th.
LISA - LISA returns to Seattle (November 9-14) this year. Be sure to swing by and check out talks and tutorials from Jennifer Davis, Steven Murawski, Mandi Walls, Nathen Harvey, and more!
Upcoming Chef Training
Use discount code FOODFIGHT to save 10% off upcoming Chef training that’s being held in
There are also a number of classes being offered online.
- API-driven, not document- or configuration file-driven
- Use Powershell to drive the API
- Common Engineering Criteria
- All management functionality must be exposed to Powershell
- Server 2012 has 2400+ Powershell commands covering Windows administration and functionality
- Command line parsing, pipeline semantics, debugging, etc.
- Powershell equalivent of
- Pester - Powershell BDD style testing framework
- Text Editors
- NOT notepad
- Powershell ISE - if nothing else is there
- Sublime Text
- emacs, of course
- Basic resources that Chef users should know about
- Package-Service-Template paradigm doesn’t really work for Windows
- Powershell and DSC
- PowerShellDSC converts the document-oriented calls of Chef to API-oriented calls of Windows
- test target resource, set target resource, get target resource
- Identifying which registry keys have changed is painful
- Inspect MSIs with Orca.aspx)
- Windows Cookbook
- Debugging Powershell is painful
- Windows Management Framework 5 - might go back as far as 2008 R2.
- Powershell 5 has many updates and enhancements for debugging
- Test Kitchen at ChefSummit
- Escaping from Powershell and using command.exe escaping -
knife winrm --% ....
- Adam Edwards, PowerChef - Enhanced PowerShell Integration for Chef Recipes from #ChefConf 2014
- The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance by W. Timothy Gallwey
- The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master by Takuan Soho
The show is sponsored, in part, by Chef.