Show Date: Tuesday, 11 December 2012
This episode was inspired by Ulf’s presentation at DevOps Days Rome 2012:
Monitoringlove: a True story in this presentation given at DevopsDays Italy. Ulf Mansson describes how the implementation of sensu and graphite convert the monitoring meme from monitoringsucks to monitoringlove. Hey kids, Ulf is right. monitoringsucks is dead, long live monitoringlove! There is now an active monitoringlove hashtag on twitter and an active #monitoringlove IRC channel. Join the Fun! Thanks to Ulf Mansson for making us realize that monitoring no longer has to suck and that if we put in just a bit of extra work, we can experience monitoringlove too.
Help us make the show more awesome.
- Sean Porter github, twitter
- Ulf Mansson twitter, blog
- John Vincent, aka Lusis twitter, github
- Mike Fiedler github, twitter
- Nathen Harvey github, twitter, irc: nathenharvey, blog
- Why Sensu? Why another monitoring system?
- How does Sensu differ from Nagios?
- What role does messaging play in Sensu?
- Is there support for Windows?
- Is Sensu tightly coupled with Chef?
- Ruby is dog-slow, so isn’t Sensu slow too?
- Are there pre-built checks? Can Nagios checks be used?
- https://github.com/sensu/sensu-community-plugins* Ulf: what were your reasons for moving to Sensu?
- Ulf: describe the migration process
- Ulf: What are important considerations for others who want to make the switch?
- Ulf: tell us about graphite/sensu integration
- Ulf: what is #monitoringlove?
- Ulf: How many servers did you need to set up for Sensu, vs previous monitoring?
- Where could Sensu use the most help?
- Who is using Sensu at the moment?
- Role Cookbooks and Wrapper Cookbooks, another post on the subject from Peter Donald.
- Roundtrip Roundtrip is a business process tracking and measurement service especially useful for tracking distributed systems and services that integrates nicely with Graphite
- Chef-workflow is a comprehensive rake-based workflow for chef
- Flock_of_chefs inter-node communication primatives to Chef instances Love the ’80s synth-pop reference! Cue Flock of Seagulls “Wishing”
- Alpha omnibus packages for Chef 11 Server are now available for Centos 5,6 and Ubuntu 10-12
- Test-Kitchen 0.7.0 released, now with an OpenStack Runner and some bug fixes
- Berkshelf 1.1.0 released. This release adds a bunch of new commands and some bug fixes.
My favorite is that
berks uploadcan now take a single cookbook as an argument. Before 1.1.0, you
berks uploaduploaded all of the cookbook referenced in your Berksfile, each time you ran it. A big thanks goes out to Seth Vargo who is now the biggest contributor outside of Riot Games to the Berkshelf project
- Peter Zsoldos shared with us an excellent presentation from Dan Milstein, How to run a 5 Whys (with humans, not robots)
- The Resources reference page has moved! All the content on the wiki page for Resources has been moved to docs.opscode.com
- tsdb-server v0.1.0 - jacekm Installs OpenTSDB server
- exim4-light v0.1.0 - thomas_massmann This cookbook installs and configures exim4 for client or outbound relayhost.
- gelf_handler v1.0.0 - peter_donald Installs a Chef handler that sends chef run results to a GELF server such as Logstash or Graylog. If you have the ohai-system_pacakges plugin installed, it will also send package statistics.
- autohotkey v0.1.1 - fromonesrc automates the installation of AutoHotkey, a free, open-source utility for Windows that allows you to automate almost anything by sending keystrokes and mouse clicks.
- ucs-solo v0.0.1 - mraju A Chef cookbook (beta) to deploy and configure Cisco UCS. The cookbook leverages chef-solo with ucslib and helps setup a basic Cisco UCS deployment. It acts as a template to highlight what’s possible with the UCS API.
- ucs v0.0.1 - mraju A Chef cookbook (beta) to deploy and configure Cisco UCS. The cookbook leverages Chef Server, a chef-node (UCS Proxy) with ucslib and helps setup a basic Cisco UCS deployment. It acts as a template to highlight what’s possible with the UCS API using Chef in a distributed environment.
- dhcp v2.0.0 - spheromak Data bag and environment driven DHCP server with isc-dhcpd
- cpu v0.2.0 - guilhemfr Manage CPU related tasks on linux (governor, nice, affinity…)
- kibana v0.1.0 - peter_donald Installs/Configures kibana, the logstash UI
- sbt-extras v0.2.2 - gildegoma Installs sbt-extras to build scala projects with any sbt version you need
- serverdensity v0.1.0 - avrohom Installs/Configures Server Density
- galera v0.3.1 - alex-s9s Installs Codership’s MySQL Galera cluster. Galera Cluster provides synchronous multi-master replication for MySQL
- cmon v0.5.0 - alex-s9s Installs and configures ClusterControl controller and agents
- gradle v1.2.0 - ollehallin Installs/Configures Gradle, a build automation tool. According to the gradle website, Gradle combines the power and flexibility of Ant with the dependency management and conventions of Maven into a more effective way to build. And, it’s powered by a Groovy DSL
- pandoc v1.0.0 - jtimberman Installs pandoc, a universal document creator. If you need to convert files from one markup format into another, pandoc is your swiss-army knife.
- nephele v0.1.2 - cixelsyd Nephele, the Greek cloud nymph, contains some basic utilities for working with cloud services. At the moment, the only implemented item is a library that will sync a local directory with an S3 bucket.
- minecraft v0.0.2 - gregf Installs/Configures minecraft server
- zabbix_windows v0.0.1 - gwaldo Installs Zabbix Agent on Windows Hosts
- puppet v0.2.0 - fnichol Installs and manages a Puppet Master service. No, really.
- myface v0.3.0 - someara Example cookbook written to show the Application Cookbook pattern
- zeoserver v0.1.1 - thomas_massmann Installs and configures a Zope ZEO-Server.
- known_host v0.1.0 - sethvargo LWRP for adding keys to the ssh_known_hosts file
- ruby-helper v0.0.1 - spheromak This recipe extends ruby to include .blank? method from rails.
- smf v0.6.5 - bixu
- certificate v0.1.0 - atomic-penguin
- nginx-fastcgi v0.0.10 - melezhik
- glassfish v0.5.10 - peter_donald
- mac_os_x v1.4.2 - jtimberman
- lxc v0.1.0 - chrisroberts
- ruby_build v0.7.0 - fnichol
- helpers-databags v1.0.0 - spheromak
- sanitize v0.1.2 - mpasternacki
- editor v0.2.0 - sethvargo
- magic_shell v0.2.0 - nathenharvey
- teamspeak3 v1.1.0 - jtimberman
- 1password v1.0.4 - jtimberman
- reginjector v0.1.3 - cixelsyd
- gitlab v0.3.4 - atomic-penguin
- nut v0.0.2 - clarry
- ruby v0.9.2 - jtimberman
- hostsfile v0.2.2 - sethvargo
- camo v0.1.0 - onehealth
- resource-tester v0.1.4 - someara
- beanstalkd v0.0.3 - devesc
- logstash v0.5.1 - lusis
- tunnelblick v1.0.6 - jtimberman
- artifact v0.11.1 - reset
- network_interfaces v0.1.0 - guilhemfr
- modules v0.1.2 - guilhemfr
- helpers-search v0.0.3 - spheromak
- geminabox v0.1.1 - chrisroberts
- kvm v0.2.1 - guilhemfr
- ChefConf 2013 - Submit your presentations, buy your tickets.
- Download episode 33 now - #monitoringlove with Sensu